Monday 8 July 2013

One Year

On major holidays I always find myself looking back and thinking about where I was one whole year ago. One whole year ago, I was holidaying with one of my sweetest friends, Jess in Canada. We celebrated Canada Day together, and then on the Fourth of July I had my own little celebration - an American visiting Canada from Australia celebrating being independent.

A whole year ago, I remember thinking about marrying Wade seriously for the very first time. Before I left for my first big solo trip Wade had - cautiously - brought up the subject with me. At the time I had kind of shrugged it off, maybe when we're older... I want to travel first... we don't have any money. So we didn't really talk about it again before I left. I was so excited to go on the trip, never anticipating what a mess I would be from missing Wade. When I was about two-thirds of the way through the flight to L.A., I opened my carry-on to grab a book and I found a letter stuck between its pages from Wade. I started bawling my eyes out, because as soon as I finished the letter I realized that I wasn't going to be able to see him for months and, suddenly, that was a very big deal.

I look back at all the photos from the trip and I can remember that every time I found myself having a ball, I would think I wish Wade was here! Crazy how things can change in only twelve short months.


- H

No comments:

Post a Comment