Wednesday 22 May 2013

A Dash of Delayed Gratification


Today I blew off my final class for the semester and went to the gym, and then to lunch with Wade. What a great day, spending time with my favorite person! Unfortunately, we had lunch at the mall, and, as I tend to do when I am at the mall, I convinced Wade to come and have a look with me at some of my favorite stores because I need some Winter clothes. I haven't actually had a Winter in two years, as I left for the Northern Hemisphere during last year's Winter and lazed around in a bikini on the beaches in America and Canada for the entirety of Winter and only returned in the Spring. Therefore, my Winter wardrobe is a little bit lacking.

Okay, now this is going to sound slightly off topic, but bear with me. A while ago, my sweet friend Elora and I attended a budgeting seminar at my church. Boy, was that something I needed to hear! While I have always been good with saving some of my money, I have also had times in my life when I've gone and blown it all in a spending spree, or taken a spur-of-the-moment holiday, or made a big purchase without thinking too hard about it. One day, about four years ago, I woke up one morning and decided to get two more holes pierced in my ears. I hadn't really thought about it at all before that morning, but I went out and did it that same day. I've never regretted it, but still, that's the kind of person I am - impulsive.

One of the many useful things that I took away from the course was the idea of delayed gratification while shopping. While I know what this means, as a concept, it was certainly not something I had ever put into practice. If I was at a store and saw a top that I wanted - even if it was a little bit more money than I would normally spend on a top - and I had enough money in my bank account, I would buy it without thinking twice. Now, when I make almost any purchase, I try to sleep on it before buying it. You would not believe how many times I have woken up in the morning and have not been able to justify buying something.

So today, rather than swiping my credit card without batting an eyelid, I decided to sleep on it. I definitely don't need all of them, but boy were some of them cute! I would also like to point out that some of them were even on sale and I didn't buy them, and for a shopaholic like me that is a big deal. I'm trying to find some fairly warm pieces because they will be doing double duty in November when Wade and I are holidaying in New York. Brrr! In any case, here are four of the pieces that I put off from buying, but kind of wish I did, because they were so comfy - great for traveling, or a weekend coffee date.

Weekend Coffee Run
Blouse: Forever New // Jeggings: Bardot // Ballet flats: Witchery // Bag: Fossil
 - H
 

No comments:

Post a Comment