Wednesday 1 May 2013

May I?

I can't believe it's May already! I feel like I was just getting used to April (and its slightly chillier weather) and now I feel like I've been thrust into May! I finish for the semester on the thirty-first and then I have two glorious months of working a lot - okay, I work in retail, so maybe glorious isn't the word - but nevertheless I much prefer working to studying.

Whenever I say this I grimace a little bit, expecting the standard, "You don't know what you're talking about" reaction by people who are, or who have worked full time. But I love my job, and I love working. Sure, it definitely has its horrible moments - I think any retail job does, as you have to deal with people all the time, and quite frankly, people can behave really badly if they want to - but overall I love showing up to work every day.

Half of it is the actual job: I work in a photography and craft store, so I am interacting with similarly creative people all day. I am also constantly learning new things about photography and craft. I don't think I have worked a single shift where I haven't learned something new. I also find that people who come in to buy craft supplies are generally happier people, because they are spending money on something that makes them happy. Or they are coming in for a cup of coffee - yes, our store has a tiny cafe in it! - and just want to have a chat. And I love to chat!

The other half is that when I am not studying, I find that I can switch off on the weekends. When I'm at university, I feel like I can't do anything relaxing (go to the gym, watch a movie, hang out with friends) without feeling like I should be studying. I love going to work, working hard all day, and then having the evening free to make dinner, relax and maybe find some time to spend with Wade. During the study semester I usually work during the day and go to uni at night, which doesn't leave much time for date nights, or even just hanging out at home and having dinner together.

So, frankly I can't wait for this semester to be over! Thirty days and counting...

- H

No comments:

Post a Comment