Monday 24 June 2013

DIY Photobooth with the Canon Selphy CP900

When we were party planning for my brother's sixteenth birthday, we were trying to think of something that would make his party really fun. Obviously, photobooths are the bomb. I've been to a few parties and weddings with photobooths and I love that you get to leave with an awesome souvenir of the night. That being said, when my mom and I started looking into hiring photobooths for the night we were shocked at the prices - $1000 for 3 hours? - so we started thinking about alternatives.

At Wade's brother's wedding, they had a Fuji Instax where you could snap a Polaroid and peg it up on a memory board for the bride and groom to keep forever. However, some guests - not me, I swear! - liked the pictures too much and knew they were never going to see them again so they took them. Which kind of sucks for the couple, because they never got to see some of the best photos of their guests. It also sucked for me because I took a great picture of Wade and I that I will never see again.

Enter the Canon Selphy CP900. Aka, my new favorite toy. The Selphy is a tiny printer that you can hook up wirelessly to your camera, computer, or smartphone - or you can stick a USB or SD card in - and print 6x4 photos.


To make the photobooth I started by cutting pieces of tissue paper to look like papel picado. Wade then strung them up on the walls to create a colorful backdrop.



Then we popped a couple of chairs in front of the backdrop and a box of fun props and let the party guests do the rest! After they posed for the shots, I printed the pictures straight away. I printed two of each of the four poses (eight in total) on each piece of photo paper and sliced the 4 x 6 image in half. We then tacked the photos up in a public place for the guests to look at and take home.


Here's my sister Steph and I getting a little crazy in the "booth"!

- H

8 comments:

  1. Curious, did the printer have an option to print eight up or was that a photoshop set up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen!

    Yes, you can select eight pictures per page on the printer. (Or four, or two, or however many you want to print per 4x6 page).

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi there i would like to buy this for my party do you know how many sheets of paper can you put at once and how many prints you get per roll.

    thank you
    p.s great setup love it.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much :) As far as I know you can buy a Selphy pack of 100 sheets, and then I printed two strips per sheet. So it's about 200 strips per pack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wao ,these photos are looking very beautiful. I also heard about Theboothfairy ,which are very famous in this field. I enjoyed this post. Thanks for nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am trying to set up a photo both for a birthday party but can't figure out how to set my selphy printer to print strips like yours. Can you please help. ..???!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Nancy Santiago did you ever figure it out? I am also trying to do this

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! How did you print 8 pictures on to 1 piece of paper?

    ReplyDelete